Sunday, May 27, 2012

Light Boxing

THE HYRULE FANTASY ゼルダの伝説 - Zelda no Densetsu
In order to properly document my project as well as list my finds, I've decided to build a small test lightbox. The materials were simple:
  • Small Cardboard Box
  • White Poster Board
  • X-acto Knife
  • Tape (I used white duct tape)
  • White Cloth (I used Muslin Cotton)
Construction consisted of removing the top flaps off the box. Then removing large sections of each of the sides (leaving about a 2" gap around the holes). I used some of the removed cardboard to fill in a gap left in the bottom to make sure that there would be a stable base. Then the duct tape was used to reinforce each section where cuts were made. The poster board was cut and placed in the box so that the opposite side from where I'll be shooting from will have a nice curved edge, instead of sharp corners. This was affixed to the top with more duct tape and then the top and two non-shooting sides were covered with the muslin cotton. Pretty simple process, took about an hour or so.

Then came time to test it out... I wanted to pick a colorful cartridge to do my test shooting with, so I selected ゼルダの伝説 (Zelda no Densetsu) to see what I could come up with. While I ended up shooting all of my cartridges up to this point, I'm not too happy with the results. Inconsistent positioning of the camera/cartridges being my primary issue. The second biggest issue I can see is lighting. Both are easily remedied, but will have to wait until later. I'm still debating on how best to showcase the games, some kind of gallery perhaps.

The only real problem now is... I'll have to build a bigger light box to take a picture of this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment